Discussion: M - who set the standard?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 60  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 | Next

Posted Anonymously
M - who set the standard?
Jul 28 2007, 9:04 PM EDT | Post edited: Jul 28 2007, 9:04 PM EDT
Bernard Lee -- the BEST!! Too bad he passed away--it was perfect casting.Robert Brown seemed a more minor role in his movies,not quite the gravity of the others.Judi Dench was very good as well--but a former Admiral (traditionaly the head of MI6),HMMMM???? But she's still a hardcase boss. 4  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

Posted Anonymously
1. RE: M - who set the standard?
Feb 18 2008, 3:02 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 18 2008, 3:02 PM EST
Hey!! Maybe "M" stood for Messervy , kinda like "C" stood for Cumming....yeh?......C. 2  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
venables
venables
2. RE: M - who set the standard?
Feb 21 2008, 2:18 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 21 2008, 2:18 AM EST
i dissagree i think judy dench is a great <M> 4  out of 5 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
3. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 1 2008, 6:29 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 1 2008, 6:29 PM EST
"i dissagree i think judy dench is a great <M>"
Don't get me wrong -- Judi Dench is a great actress and a very good M....I just said its USUALLY a man....a former admiral . In the books M was a First Sea Lord put in charge of the SIS.
And its hard to follow Bernard Lee....he nailed it! .........................................................C.
4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

JustinAtheropinion
4. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 3 2008, 5:01 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 3 2008, 5:01 PM EST
BUT...the head of British Intelligence has not been restricted to the military...and in fact, Judi Dench's casting came about because, at the time of Goldeneye, the head of British Intelligence was a woman. 4  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    

JustinAtheropinion
5. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 3 2008, 5:03 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 3 2008, 5:03 PM EST
Oh, and to answer the thread--Bernard Lee was a perfect bit of casting...and playing.

I wish that he was treated with the same respect later on as he was in the earlier films.
1  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

AdmlC.
6. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 5 2008, 2:15 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 5 2008, 2:15 PM EST
"Oh, and to answer the thread--Bernard Lee was a perfect bit of casting...and playing.

I wish that he was treated with the same respect later on as he was in the earlier films."
Yes, he was and I agree -- they never really played up the almost father/son relationship between 007 and M. M was just the boss and in the later movies regulated to almost a minor role. The only hint of anything more personal between them seemed to be when Bond went to Quarterdeck,M's home in OHMSS.
With Judi Dench it seems like they may be trying to put that back in order.
1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
moore4ever
moore4ever
7. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 5 2008, 3:11 PM EST | Post edited: Mar 5 2008, 3:11 PM EST
Bernard Lee, the 1st and the the best 0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Thelizardking
Thelizardking
8. James Bond's best M
Mar 16 2008, 10:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 16 2008, 10:46 PM EDT
Not trying to sound like a sexist dinosaur, I'd have to say Bernard Lee. Simply because (for me) he bests resembles the M from the novels, plus he was an original.

But don't worry, Judi Dench is another great M.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Posted Anonymously
9. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 17 2008, 5:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2008, 5:42 AM EDT
BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! 1  out of 4 found this valuable. Do you?    
alexberg
alexberg
10. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 17 2008, 6:50 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 17 2008, 6:50 AM EDT
"BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE!"
Hhhmmm. I don't get it. Who are you voting for?
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
boothroyd
boothroyd
11. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 25 2008, 6:31 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 25 2008, 6:31 AM EDT
I concur. Bernard Lee was the best, but they turned him into a very minor player during the Moore years. Probably the anti-authoritarian mind set of the 70's. Judi Dench gets honorable mention as second-best.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

JustinAtheropinion
12. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 26 2008, 8:44 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 26 2008, 8:44 AM EDT
"I concur. Bernard Lee was the best, but they turned him into a very minor player during the Moore years. Probably the anti-authoritarian mind set of the 70's. Judi Dench gets honorable mention as second-best.
"
I just watched "Moonraker" again, and there's a wonderful scene between Lee and Moore--right after Bond has led his boss to the scene of a bio-hazard disaster that seems to not exist anymore. Of course, it's an embarrassing situation, but "M" has enough faith in Bond to trust his investigative instincts, and there's a warmth there that's very touching. Great scene, in fact, owing to the two players involved.
DocHolliday
DocHolliday
13. RE: M - who set the standard?
Mar 26 2008, 10:59 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 26 2008, 10:59 AM EDT
"I just watched "Moonraker" again, and there's a wonderful scene between Lee and Moore--right after Bond has led his boss to the scene of a bio-hazard disaster that seems to not exist anymore. Of course, it's an embarrassing situation, but "M" has enough faith in Bond to trust his investigative instincts, and there's a warmth there that's very touching. Great scene, in fact, owing to the two players involved."
Lee's M was always rougher on Connery's Bond and a little chummier with Moore. Probably because a) the characters and their relationship were maturing, and b) Connery was always a discipline case. Moore's Bond was a bit more professional, a little more like M's star pupil, while Connery always seemed to need a rap on the knuckles.
Cedric(006)
Cedric(006)
14. RE: M - who set the standard?
Apr 11 2008, 3:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 11 2008, 3:58 PM EDT
Ok now who could keep a man in line, Benard Lee (man) or Judy Dench (Woman)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>>>>GSTQ<<<<
mkfreeberg
mkfreeberg
15. RE: M - who set the standard?
Apr 21 2008, 7:15 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 21 2008, 7:15 AM EDT
"BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BRENARD LEE BERNARD LEE! BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE BERNARD LEE!"
Yes, absolutely.

I really like Judy Dench, but with her you more-or-less know where Bond stands with her. I think that's a bad thing. With Bernard, you never knew if M was on the brank of promoting Bond or of firing him, and you got the sense that Bond didn't either.
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Cedric(006)
Cedric(006)
16. RE: M - who set the standard?
Apr 21 2008, 10:48 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 21 2008, 10:48 AM EDT
"Yes, absolutely.

I really like Judy Dench, but with her you more-or-less know where Bond stands with her. I think that's a bad thing. With Bernard, you never knew if M was on the brank of promoting Bond or of firing him, and you got the sense that Bond didn't either."
But Judy Dench got right to the point and was a strict Bond. On The World is Not Enough when judy escaped, let see Bernard Lee do that!

>>>>God Save The Queen<<<<
spaceflightengineer
spaceflightengineer
17. RE: M - who set the standard?
Apr 28 2008, 6:46 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 28 2008, 6:46 PM EDT
See! Once again a very good and positive moment in what is almost traditionally written off as a bad Bond film.

I happen to love the heck out of Ms. Dench's portrayal. In fact, even though there were a couple of "M" portrayals between Lee's death and Dench's introduction, honestly- they a) were boring and b) never ever made me think they were actually portraying "M" (I cite, from the top o' my noggin' "License to Kill"...). Dench was one of the best things of the Brosnan era (I am in no way putting down the former Mr. Steele...). But having been a fan of her for some time, I thought it was and is simply great casting. Yes, I would have loved for the unmatched Bernard Lee to carry on forever, ditto all the "originals" (including a certain Ian F.) but things happen. Now- if we could get a Moneypenny as memorable and meaningful as Lois.
The most recent portrayal is OK, but....
mkfreeberg
mkfreeberg
18. RE: M - who set the standard?
Apr 29 2008, 5:58 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 29 2008, 5:58 AM EDT
Well, she escaped when Bond shot the lock on her prison door with his P99. I think you're referring to how she jumpered the 9 volt battery on the tracker chip that came out of the warhead.

I think what you're suggesting would have been quite do-able and it would have been great fun to watch. Just a little more thinking outside the box in the Connery/Moore era.
Cedric(006)
Cedric(006)
19. RE: M - who set the standard?
Apr 29 2008, 10:57 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 29 2008, 10:57 AM EDT
"Well, she escaped when Bond shot the lock on her prison door with his P99. I think you're referring to how she jumpered the 9 volt battery on the tracker chip that came out of the warhead.

I think what you're suggesting would have been quite do-able and it would have been great fun to watch. Just a little more thinking outside the box in the Connery/Moore era."
Well Bernard Lee, being the first one M, set the standard. But in my opinion Judi Dench is the best one. Unlike her other two conterparts, Judi was able to in a way controll Bond. Of course with the exection of Craig because thats when Bond was young, and uncontrollable.

>>>>GSTQ<<<<
2 3 | Next