Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Supporting Cast Home | M Home|
- M is a code letter for the head of the British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6). In short, M is James Bond's boss.
- The title "M" is believed to have been created by Ian Fleming from the first real-life head of Her Majesty's Secret Service, Mansfield Smith-Cumming, who used his initial "C" to indicate when he had signed a paper.
- Other influences on the character include Admiral John Godfrey, Fleming's superior in the British Naval Intelligence during World War 2.
- The "M" might also be an abbreviation for Minister, refering to the title of the MI6 head.
- In the last novel written by Ian Fleming, The Man With The Golden Gun, it was revealed that M's real name is Vice Admiral Sir Miles Messervy, KCMG.
- Moneypenny is M's secretary.
M has been played by four actors in the Eon film series to this day:
- In Ian Fleming's novel On Her Majesty's Secret Service, it is revealed that M's salary as head of the Secret Service was 5000 pounds a year (that was considered a lot of money in the early 60's) and an additional 1500 pounds as his naval pay (as a retired "Vice Admiral")
- The first M's home was called "Quarterdeck," and could be seen in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.