Ernst Stavro Blofeld
Jump to navigation Jump to search
How plans are foiled:
SPECTRE, and the closest figure James Bond ever had to an archnemesis.
He is cruel and unforgiving, and does not tolerate failures or betrayal. He is known to frequently kill underlings who fail to meet his expectations (and most often, fail to kill Bond). His beloved pet is a white cat. On many occasions, he is seen stroking it.
Blofeld has been portrayed by the following actors in the Eon-produced Bond films:
- Generally, staggering ransoms, the world's submission to his will and the death of his greatest enemy, James Bond.
- From Russia With Love: Employs Kronsteen 's three-prong attack to steal a <a class="external" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lektor" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">LEKTOR</a>decoding machine, hires Red Grant to kill James Bond, and tries to subvert SMERSH from within with the help of Rosa Klebb.
- Thunderball: Employs Emilio Largo and Fiona Volpe to hijack and crash-land a British Vulcan bomber into the ocean in order to steal its two nuclear warheads with the intent of threatening to destroy entire cities to extort ransoms out of the US and British governments.
- You Only Live Twice: Plans to cause World War 3 by interfering with the American-Russian space race through the hijacking of their experimental manned spacecrafts.
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Uses an extortion plot to earn himself a complete pardon and the title of Count de Bleuchamp. If his terms are not met, he plans to release 10 women carrying a highly contagious infertility virus, "Virus Omega", into the world. Tries to kill Bond on several occasions, including his wedding day.
- Diamonds Are Forever: Aims to auction off nuclear supremacy with his powerful Refraction Laser Satellite.
- For Your Eyes Only: Tries to kill Bond by trapping him into a remote-controlled helicopter.
How plans are foiled:
- From Russia With Love: Bond acquires the LEKTOR, and kills Grant, Klebb, and all SPECTRE agents who got in his way.
- Thunderball: Bond discovers the bombs. An army of United States Coast Guard frogmen stop Largo's army during an underwater battle with the help of Bond, Largo is killed by Domino and the Disco Volante is destroyed.
- You Only Live Twice: Bond alerts the Japanese Secret Service of Blofeld's plan, Tanaka and his ninjas storm Blofeld's volcano base and Bond blows up the SPECTRE spacecraft.
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service: Bond attacks and destroys Blofeld's Piz Gloria headquarters with the assistance of Marc-Ange Draco's forces.
- Diamonds Are Forever: Bond signals Willard Whyte, Felix Leiter, and marines to attack the oil rig via helicopters, blowing it up, then uses Blofeld'd escape submarine, with Blofeld in it to destroy the satellite command room, saving Washington D.C. from destruction.
- For Your Eyes Only: Bond disconnects the wire which allowed Blofeld to control the helicopter. Bond then pilots the helicopter and picks up Blofeld in his wheelchair, then drops him down an industrial smokestack, seemingly killing him for good.
Attempted methods of killing Bond:
How he is dispatched:
- Sending countless numbers of SPECTRE agents of various ranks out to kill him.
- Poisoning (YOLT)
- Grenades (OHMSS)
- Fisticuffs aboard a speeding bob-sled (OHMSS)
- Stabbing (DAF)
- Avalanche (OHMSS)
- Trapping him into a remote-controlled helicopter (FYEO)
How he is dispatched:
- Remains safe and completely out of reach of MI6 in From Russia with Love and Thunderball, due to his distant and shadowy control of the operations.
- Manages to escape in You Only Live Twice and On Her Majesty's Secret Service (although he is severely injured in the latter, where he is last seen with a cervical collar).
- He is possibly killed at the end of Diamonds Are Forever, when Bond controls the crane that is launching his escape submersible and makes it crash and explode into the oil rig's command center.
- He is also possibly killed by Bond at the beginning of For Your Eyes Only when a mysterious bald man in a wheelchair wearing a Mao suit and stroking a white cat attempts to murder Bond out of a personal revenge using a remote-controlled helicopter. Blofeld could possibly have met his end when Bond regained control of the helicopter and dropped him down a smokestack.
- "Siamese fighting fish, fascinating creatures. Brave but, on the whole, stupid. Yes, they're stupid. Except for the occasional one, such as we have here, who lets the other two fight. While he waits. Waits until the survivor is so exhausted that he cannot defend himself, and then like SPECTRE... he strikes!" (From Russia With Love).
- "Let (James Bond's) death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one." (From Russia With Love)
- "SPECTRE always delivers what it promises. Our entire organization survives upon the keeping of those promises..." (From Russia With Love)
- "Twelve seconds. One of these days we must invent a faster-working venom." (From Russia With Love)
- "The culprit is known to me. I have decided on the appropriate actions" (Thunderball)
- "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Ernst Stavro Blofeld." (You Only Live Twice)
- "You only live twice, Mr Bond." (You Only Live Twice)
- "Extortion is my business. Go away and think it over, gentlemen. I'm busy." (You Only Live Twice)
- "This organization does not tolerate failure" (You Only Live Twice)
- "Kill Bond! NOW!" (You Only Live Twice)
- "The firing power inside my crater is enough to annihilate a small army. You can watch it all on TV. It's the last program you'll be likely to watch." (You Only Live Twice)
- "As you can see, I am about to inaugurate a little war. In a matter of hours after America and Russia have annihilated each other, we shall see a new power dominating the world." (You Only Live Twice)
- "This is the price of failure Mr. Bond" (You Only Live Twice)
- "Well, the methods of the great pioneers have often puzzled conventional minds" (On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
- "It takes more than a few props to turn 007 into a herald." (On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
- "TOTAL Infertility! In plants and animals. Not just disease in a few herds, Mr. Bond. Or the loss of a single crop. But the destruction of a whole strain. Forever! Throughout an entire continent. If my demands are not met, I shall proceed with the systematic extinction of whole species of cerals and livestock all over the world." (On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
- "I do so hate martial music" (Diamonds Are Forever)
- "You killed my only other double, I'm afraid. After his death, volunteers were understandably... rather scarce." (Diamonds Are Forever)
- "Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in" (Diamonds Are Forever)
- "...the great powers flexing their military muscles like so many impotent beach-boys" (Diamonds Are Forever)
- "Tiffany, my dear. We're showing a bit more 'cheek' than usual, aren't we? Take her below and lock her up with Mr. Bond. What a pity, such nice cheeks too. If only they were brains." (Diamonds Are Forever)
- "Prepare my bath-o-sub immediately!" (Diamonds Are Forever)
- "You are now flying remote-control airways, Mr. Bond!" (For Your Eyes Only)
- "Mr. Bond! We can do a deal! I'll make you a delicatessen! In stainless steel!" (For Your Eyes Only)
- Czech actor Jan Werich (picture below) was originally cast by producer Harry Saltzman to play Blofeld in You Only Live Twice. Upon arriving at the Pinewood set, both producer Cubby Broccoli and director Lewis Gilbert felt that he was a bad choice, resembling a "poor, benevolent santa Claus". Nonetheless, in an attempt to make the casting work, Gilbert continued filming. After five days, both Gilbert and Broccoli determined that Werich was not menacing enough, and they hired Donald Pleasence in the role - the official excuse being that Werich was ill.
- Donald Pleasence appeared to use a Hungarian accent to portray Blofeld.
- Was originally going to be the villain of The Spy Who Loved Me until Kevin McClory struck and claimed ownership of SPECTRE in the novels and films (read more here), as he was said to have given the idea to Ian Fleming. The character of Karl Stromberg was created instead.
- The villain of the pre-credits sequence in For Your Eyes Only is a crippled man in a wheelchair who wants to take his revenge on Bond using a remote-controlled helicopter as a trap after the latter's visit to Tracy's grave. The producers were unable to name him "Blofeld" due to the legal battle with Kevin McClory (read more here) but Bond's visit to Tracy's grave, the baldness and crippling condition of the character (which might have resulted from the exploding oil rig at the end of Diamonds Are Forever, alternatively from his tree crash in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, given the neck brace) as well as his white cat leave no serious doubt about his real identity.